“Today, I escaped from anxiety. Or no, I discarded it, because it was within me, in my own perceptions; not outside.”
To think well is an art. We often take it for granted, letting in information and knowledge, that creates massacres and worries within us. Thinking well is a skill that is honed and developed over a period of time.
Retrospection – A sigh of relief!
Retrospect. Everything in life happens naturally. We just need to see the fact and act, tweaking and moulding our actions in the right direction.
How does our brain works?
- In psychology, it’s said, “neurons that fire together, wire together”. Your brain works exactly the way it is designed to be. When we indulge in fantasising, needing something badly, anxiously, we are providing food for our mind. We are firing the neurons in the same direction of anxiety and worries of our minds.
- Once the food is fed, there is a gush of emotions running over you. Your world is convoluted, turned upside down with those nasty feelings, and emotions and memories you entangle yourself in. You ruminate about it over and over and over again.
How do we form the thought patterns?
- If the thought patterns are favourable, we repeat them. Now, the habits are formed. We keep repeating the thoughts, playing back and forth in a repeat mode, wanting them more and more.
- If an undesirable thought pops up, we start creating opposites. Say, from violence we create the idea of non-violence, from negative to a positive talk.
In both ways, we are but circling in the realm of thoughts. But do they provide a permanent solution to our psychological problems? Do they eliminate suffering?
Understanding the Default setting of the brain
It becomes much easier to act when we understand something clearly. Therefore to attain mastery and develop the art of thinking, we need to understand the dynamics and workings of our complex minds. Some of the main factors that determine the actions of the mind include-
- Past psychological Patterns of the mind.
- Biological Factors
- Physiological factors.
- External stimuli and internal stimuli.
- The environment around us.
Know your default setting by observing your inclinations, your mindset, your thought pattern, and your automated self-talk. Know what your mind is chattering about. Observe how do you think? What is your automated response to a given situation?
What do masses do for their mind?
- They hand over their brains to the respected market gurus, to their authority; and do not take charge of the chaos taking place within.
- They lack time and motivation to clean their house of the mind.
- They postpone, hoping to solve the mess within in the later stages of their life.
This is the world that we live in. It is for us to get- out, or remain in the trap. So, don’t be a part of the masses!
“Man’s mind may be likened to a garden, which may be intelligently cultivated or allowed to run wild.”
So what can you do about it?
- Observe the mess. Observe, the thoughts, feelings, emotions, the memories. It requires an incredible amount of effort to remain still and not get carried away. Take the effort, the fruits will follow!
- Take opinions. Get the third-person perspective. You get to know the larger picture of your life, free from personal biases and dogmas.
- Let it out- Channalise your self-talk by journaling. Journalising helps you to move away, decluttering your mind.
You arrive at the state of mind that has order within, understanding the reality and seeing things as they are, not as they should be.
- Be brave- Question your beliefs. There are scary, deep-rooted feelings and emotions and desires that feed upon you like parasites and leeches. Question, doubt, be vulnerable, be uncertain about your existing beliefs.
“Questioning is the beginning of intelligence.”
Key Points –
- What to do when you can’t think clearly? To think clearly and to have order in your thoughts, you need to have space within. Practise developing space and gaps in-between your thoughts. Do not let the storm of your mind sweep you away by their sheer tenacity and force.
- How to clear your brain fog? Sleep well. Sleep is one of the most important factors in determining a healthy mind. it is a powerful tool to allow your mind to grow, rewire and develop.
- How do you think straight? Access the power of the present moment. The present moment is the doorway to understand life to its core. By being here and now, you are free from the past repetitive patterns of your mind.
Got feedback? I would love to hear what you think about my content. Drop a comment below and share your thoughts!